Which are the best edible plants to grow indoors?
Most of us are becoming more health conscious and with that we are not only careful about what kinds of food we consume, but also the source of the food and how it is grown. Most people therefore prefer a local farmer’s market to buy their vegetables. However, even if you have a small area like a window sill or a small area in front of your home, you can grow your own food there. Here are a few examples:
- Carrots: These are very beneficial for health and very easy to grow as well. You can buy carrot seeds and put it in a pot which is at least 18 inches deep. There needs to be drainage holes to the pot and you can then place potting mixture in the pot and plant the seeds. Carrots can be harvested when they can be seen as around ¾ inch diameter at the top.
- Garlic greens can be grown from garlic cloves. These need to be put into the soil and watered well. When these are 8-10 inches tall these can be harvested.
- Microgreens can be grown by purchasing seeds of radish, beets, basil and dill. These need sunlight and around 60 – 70 degrees temperature. These can be harvested when the seedlings are around 1-2 inches.
- Salad greens can be grown from seeds or from plants and need to be kept moist at all times. They can be harvested by only pulling out the outer leaves and allowing the inner ones to continue growing.
- Scallions can be grown from scallion bulbs. All you need to do is place these scallion bulbs with a little bit of green in a bowl of water and daily change the water. When new shoots are seen then these need to be planted in a shallow pot. The top part can be harvested whenever needed.